You will need to apply for a premises licence if you want to:
- sell alcohol
- serve hot food and drinks between 11 pm and 5 am
- provide regulated entertainment
You need to be over 18 to apply for a licence.
To apply for a premises licence, you need to:
- check if you need planning permission
- complete the premises licence application form (pdf)
- provide a plan of the premises
- provide a consent form from the premises supervisor (pdf) (only if you are selling alcohol)
- pay the fee - based on the rateable value of the property (pdf)
Once you have made an application, you will need to:
- advertise your application on the outside of the premises using the outside premises public notice form (pdf)
- advertise your application in the local newspaper using the newspaper public notice form (pdf)
- send copies of the application and plan of the premises to the responsible authorities
Once we receive your application, we will:
- acknowledge it within 5 working days
- allow 28 days for representations
Representations can be made against your application. Representations can be made by:
- a person living in Harlow who is likely to be affected by the licence
- a person involved in a business in Harlow who is likely to be affected by the licence
- a responsible body
If we receive any representations, we will take the application to a hearing for councillors to consider. We will then notify you of their decision.
If we do not grant your licence, we will not refund your fee, but you can appeal the decision by writing to us. Appeals are made to a magistrates court within 21 days of notice of the decision.
If we do not receive any representations, we will grant the licence.
If we grant your licence, it will be valid unless you surrender it or we revoke it. Although you do not need to renew your licence each year, you will need to pay an annual fee. You will need to pay the fee on the same date that we granted your licence.
Change of details
If you change your name or address, you will need to let us know by filling in the change of premises licence holder name or address form (pdf)
If you change the name of your premises, you will need to let us know by filling in the change of premises name form (pdf)
If you want to surrender your premises licence, you will need to let us know by filling in the surrender of premises licence form (pdf)
If your premises licence is lost, damaged, stolen or destroyed, you will need to let us know by filling in the premises licence replacement notification form (pdf)