Chair of the Council
The Chair of the Council for 2018/19 is Councillor Maggie Hulcoop who represents the Harlow Common Ward.
Vice Chair of the Council
The Vice Chair of the Council for 2018/19 is Councillor Clive Souter who represents the Sumners & Kingsmoor Ward.
Chair's chosen charities
The Chair’s chosen charities for 2018/19 are Streets2Homes and the Dolphin Children's Ward at Princess Alexandra Hospital.
- Streets2Homes is a charity based in Harlow, Essex which seeks to reach out to and help homeless people. The charity provides a safe and friendly environment in which they can assist the homeless in a number of ways, including finding accommodation. The charity manages a day centre, which provides a place to access housing advice, social contact, training sessions, employment advice, health services, washing facilities, food, clothing, general guidance and support. They cannot do all the work themselves, but they have links with a wide range of agencies and organisations that they can contact to try to get the appropriate type of assistance to meet the needs of their clients.
Dolphin Ward is the children’s ward at Princess Alexandra Hospital. It provides care for children who require hospital treatment from the age of 0 to 16 years old. The charity supporting Dolphin Ward is there to help provide additional support to the ward in achieving an outstanding patient experience for all children and their families. The charity is currently fundraising to replace all of their parent beds from older ‘put up’ beds to more comfortable reclining bed chairs. This will at least provide the parent of their unwell child with a more comfortable stay, during what is already a very stressful situation.
Chair and Vice Chair engagements
|Sunday 1 July||
East Herts and Bishop Stortford Civic Service
|Monday 2 July||Visit to Princess Alexandra Hospital|
|Thursday 5 July||
70 Years of the NHS Celebration - Harvey Centre
|Saturday 7 July||
Ashlyns Summer Fete
|Sunday 8 July||Rochford District Council Garden Party|
|Monday 9 July||Basildon Civic Service|
|Tuesday 10 July||Redbridge Mayors Appeal|
|Saturday 14 July||Chairman of Hertfordshire Garden Party|
|Wednesday 18 July||
Ashlyns Sports Day
|Friday 20 July||Essex County Council Chairman’s Reception|
|Wednesday 25 July||
Launch of Health and Wellbeing Strategy
|Thursday 26 July||ADAS Official Opening of the Recovery Suite|
|Friday 27 July||Maldon Civic Tea Party|
|Sunday 29 July||East Herts Music in the Garden|
|Tuesday 31 July||Peabody Community Fun Day|
Inviting the Chair and/or Vice Chair to engagements
When inviting the Chair/Vice Chair of the Council to an engagement/event the following maybe of assistance to you. They are fairly general, as there are many types of functions. Please do not hesitate to contact the Chair's Office should you wish to discuss the function or obtain further advice especially on the matters raised below.
- Timing: If your function is a dance; then half an hour or three quarters of an hour after the start would be appropriate for the Chair/Vice Chair to arrive. If a dinner is involved; about ten minutes beforehand in order to meet your officers. If a sports day; it is suggested that the Chair/Vice Chair should arrive in time for the finals and prize presentation.
- Arrival: The Chair/Vice Chair should be met on arrival, escorted to his/her place, and the appropriate introduction made.
- Precedence: The Chair/Vice Chair of the Council is the first citizen of the town, and has precedence in all places in the town, (except when the Queen or her representatives are present). Therefore the Chair/Vice Chair should be in the chair or on the immediate right of the person presiding. The precedence of the Chair/Vice Chair of the Council should also be reflected in the order of speech, presentation etc, as might be appropriate for the particular event.
- Toast list or agenda: A copy of the toast list or agenda showing the order of proceedings should be supplied as soon as the details have been finalised. If you wish the Chair/Vice Chair of the Council to speak, please also let him/her have details of the subject and points to which he should refer and the names of any person to whom reference should be made. It would also be helpful to have some background notes on your organisation, i.e. aims and activities.
Please complete the event form to invite the Chair or Vice Chair of Harlow Council to an event. This form will automatically be submitted to:
The Water Gardens
Tel: 01279 446201
East Herts and Bishop Stortford Civic Service