Environmental permits

If your business carries out processes that could harm the environment or human health unless they are controlled, you will need an environmental permit.

There are 4 categories of environmental permits.

Part A1

You need a Part A1 permit for large industrial activities

A1 installations are regulated by the Environment Agency.

You can look at GOV.UK for information on how to apply for this permit

Part A2

You need a Part A2 permit if your business has a range of environmental impacts.

You can look at GOV.UK for a list of activities that need a permit

We regulate Part A2 installations and issue permits.

Part B

You need a Part B permit if your business causes emissions to air.

We regulate Part B installations and issue permits.

Schedule 13A

You need a Schedule 13A permit for Small Waste Incineration Plants (SWIPs)

If your SWIP has a processing capacity of less than 10 tonnes per day of hazardous waste and less than 3 tonnes per hour of non-hazardous waste, we will regulate the installation and issue permits.

Other waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency.

You can look at GOV.UK for more information on which permit is required and who the regulator is.

Apply for a permit

To apply for a Part A2, Part B or Schedule 13A permit, you need to:

  • contact us for an application form
  • complete the application form and send it to our Environmental Health team
  • pay the correct fee

We will consider your application and use government guidance to decide whether to issue or refuse the permit.

If a permit is issued, it will include conditions for minimising pollution, which you need to adhere to.

You do not need to renew your permit each year, but you need to pay an annual charge.


We will inspect installations with a permit to make sure the best available technology and practices are being used to minimise pollution.

We will rate installations as high, medium or low depending on the environmental impact that would occur if something went wrong and the way in which the activity is managed.

Installations that are operated well will benefit from a lower annual charge and less frequent inspections.

Contact information

Environmental Health
Harlow Council
Civic Centre
The Water Gardens
College Square
CM20 1WG