Environmental Protection: The Public Register

Environmental permits

All industrial processes have the potential to release pollution to land, air and water. As well as damaging the environment, this pollution can pose a risk to human health.

The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 enables local authorities to control pollution from certain types of industry (such as vehicle refinishers, bulk cement and petrol filling stations) through applying for a permit.

Permits are required by certain types of industry to stop their emission having any adverse effect on health or the local environment. The permit contains conditions which must be complied with in order to control pollution.

The regulatory responsibilities for the Environmental Permitting regime are divided into four categories: Part A (1), Part A (2), Part B and a Schedule 13A installation split between the Council and the Environment Agency.

  • Part A (1): Large industrial activities in Harlow such as GlaxoSmithKline, Robert Stuart Ltd and Synthomer are regulated by the Environment Agency; enquiries about these should be directed to them.
  • Part A (2): Medium scale processes such as O-I Manufacturing UK Ltd are regulated by Harlow Council for various aspects of the operations including emissions to land, water and air, energy and raw materials usage, waste minimisation, accident prevention and noise emissions. 
  • Part B: Smaller and less energy intensive activities. Again regulated by local councils but the scope is restricted to emissions to air.
  • Schedule 13A installation: Small Waste Incineration Plant (SWIPs) is a waste incineration or co-incineration plant with a processing capacity of less than 10 tonnes per day of hazardous waste and less than 3 tonnes per hour of non-hazardous waste.

Waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency.

Mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency.

Applying for a permit

Anyone wanting to operate a Part A1 activity needs to apply to the Environment Agency, and anyone wishing to operate a Part A2, Part B or Schedule 13A activity must submit an application, with the appropriate fee, to the local authority.

The permit application is then considered, with reference being made to government guidance to determine whether to issue or refuse the permit application. If a permit is issued, it will include conditions which set down how the pollution shall be minimised.

If you wish to apply for a permit or need further help or advice, please contact Environmental Health via Contact Harlow.


There is a fee to pay when you first for apply for an Environmental Permit and a Subsistence Fee which is paid each year. The fees are set by central government and are designed to cover our administration and inspection costs. The full list of Fees and Charges can be complex so please contact us for further advice on the correct fees to pay.


Our officers will carry out an inspection of installations that operate under a permit to make sure the best available technology and practices are being used to prevent pollution. The inspection will rate installations as high, medium or low according to the environmental damage that would occur if something went wrong and the way in which the activity is managed. Installations that are operated well will benefit from reduced fees and less frequent inspections.

The Public Register

Much of the information regarding the existing installations is kept on a public register held at the offices in the Civic Centre. For example, copies of all applications for permits and details of any monitoring that has been carried out and any legal action that has been taken against site operators is all contained in the register.

The public register regulated by Harlow Council

​Alternatively, an appointment can be made to view the public register by calling 01279 446111.

The public register maintained by the Environment Agency is available to view at: GOV.UK - public registers​


If you want to make other types of complaints about premises with environmental permits, such as concerns about pollution or breach of permit conditions, please contact Environmental Health via Contact Harlow.

Public notice - Application under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016

Ref: SA/17/002

The company known as Alexander Dennis Limited has applied to Harlow Council to operate a re-spraying of road vehicles plant under Schedule 1 Section 6.4 Part B of the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 at Unit B, Barrows Road, Pinnacles Industrial Estate, Harlow, CM19 5FD. Grid reference: X (Eastings) 542646 Y (Northing) 209683.

Tell Us What You Think

Or the application can be viewed at Harlow Council’s Civic Centre.

Any requests for further information, or written representations should be sent to Steven Adams, Senior Environmental Health Officer, Tel: 01279 446105 email: env.health@harlow.gov.uk or at the Civic Centre by 30 December 2017

Thank you to those who made representations, they will be considered by the Council when determining the application.

Any representations made to the Harlow Council will be placed on the public register unless the person making the representation requests, in writing, that it is not. Where such a request is made, the Council will place a statement on the public register indicating that a representation has been made with a request that it is not placed on the public register.