Housing Investment Programme
Investing in your home – modernising Council homes
Harlow Council unveiled a £22m programme for the year June 2013 to March 2014 which paved the way for the start of modernising Council homes as part of a five-year £100m housing investment programme.
The next two years will see the investment programme concentrate on internal improvements to bring around 1,800 homes up to the Government’s Decent Homes standard and in addition 4,500 homes will get new high security front doors. This means by March 2015 all Council homes will meet the Decent Homes Standard. Years three, four and five of the investment programme will focus on maintaining the Decent Homes standard and modernising other homes. This will include both internal and external improvement works. Houses, flats, maisonettes and sheltered accommodation are all included in the programme.
Starting in June 2013 and over the next year the Council plans to make improvements to 4,188 Council homes, which will include:
- Upgrading over 1,300 kitchens.
- Modernising over 900 bathrooms.
- Replacing over 3,400 front and rear doors with high security products.
- Installing over 1,300 new energy efficient heating systems.
The five-year £100m investment programme will be funded by rents and additional grants secured by the Council. Changes to the way Council housing is now financed means the Council can reinvest money back into improving people’s homes.
The programme has been prioritised following an independent condition survey of Council homes carried out last year. The homes that will benefit first are those that require improvement to meet the Decent Homes standard by 2015. These homes will receive a letter from the Council outlining the work that will be undertaken.
Over the next five years the Council plans to:
- Internal modernisations and replacements:
- Upgrade over 4,600 kitchens.
- Modernise over 4,400 bathrooms.
- Install over 4,900 energy efficient boilers and/or full heating systems.
- Carry out over 3,500 electrical rewires.
- Install over 3,300 hard wired smoke detectors.
- Replace over 10,000 extractor fans with new models.
- External Works:
- Upgrade double glazed windows in over 2,400 homes.
- Replace over 6,300 front and rear doors with high security products.
- Replace over 1,000 flat and pitched roofs.
- Carry out environmental improvements - new door entry systems, bin store upgrades, fencing and paving schemes - in flat blocks.
Updated programme plans will be published soon.
Before any planned works Harlow Council will write to you advising you of the works and the name of the contractor in advance of any visit. The letter will say how you will be contacted in relation to the visit or will give you the contractor’s contact details in order for you to make arrangements. If you are unsure do not allow anyone into your home until you have called Contact Harlow to confirm.
Homes in Aylets Field, The Briars and Copshall Close are not included in this investment programme.
For more information please contact an Advisor at Contact Harlow.