Why has the Council made this Local Development Order (LDO)?
Harlow Council has made this LDO to support the aims of the West Essex @ Harlow Enterprise Zone. The LDO lasts for 10 years from the date of adoption. It provides planning permission subject to conditions for specific classes of development set out in the LDO Schedule. This includes:
- building development and associated site infrastructure and facilities
- road infrastructure
- change of use
- extensions and alterations
- minor operations
The LDO works alongside the formal planning application process and existing UK planning legislation to enable the long-term development of the London Road North site.
The Enterprise Zone designation and the LDO support regeneration objectives in Harlow and aim to generate economic growth and create new job opportunities in the town. The purpose of the LDO is to simplify the planning process and help stimulate the development of the site and facilitate the provision of supporting highways infrastructure.
Enterprise Zone sector focus
The Enterprise Zone and LDO are sector-led and focused on Harlow and West Essex’s strength in:
- Health and Allied Industries (Medical Technologies)
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Information Communication Technology (ICT)
Adopted London Road North LDO
The Council adopted the London Road North LDO in July 2013. Revisions to the LDO which enable phased implementation and combine conditions relating to the relocation of Maypole Sports provision were consulted on in June 2014. Adoptions of amendments were present to Cabinet on 17 July 2014 (agenda item 15). The revised LDO was subsequently adopted in July 2014. The adopted revised documents are available below:
- London Road North Order and Schedule (pdf)
- London Road North LDO Appendices A to E (pdf)
- London Road North LDO Appendices F to K (pdf)
- London Road North Design Code – Chapters 1 to 3 (pdf)
- London Road North Design Code – Chapters 4 to 5 (pdf)
- London Road North Design Code – Chapter 6 (pdf)
- London Road North Design Code – Chapter 7 (pdf)
- London Road North Design Code – Chapters 8 to 11 - Includes checklist (pdf)
LDO Confirmation of Compliance Applications
Prior to undertaking LDO development applicants must make a LDO Confirmation of Compliance Application. This is a 28 day fast-track consent process which is available free of charge and enables the Local Planning Authority to confirm whether development proposals are in conformity with the LDO and can be undertaken without the need for planning permission.
To submit a LDO Confirmation of Compliance Application please download and complete the relevant form along with the required plans. The Confirmation of Compliance Application Forms, Protocol and Checklists can be found on the Council’s planning permission applications and fees page. The LDO confirmation of compliance process is outlined in the protocol.
LDO Statement of Reasons
The Statement of Reasons explains the Council’s reasons for making the order. It contains a description of the development permitted by the LDO and a plan identifying the LDO boundary.
Supporting masterplan documents
The London Road North LDO and design code are supported by a masterplan which sets out the Council’s aspirations and vision for the physical development of the site. The masterplanning and site appraisal process has fed into the preparation of the LDO and the design code.
The masterplan documents below do not comprise part of the LDO and the development being permitted. However, they should be read in conjunction with the LDO as they provide background on the enterprise zone and highlight the development opportunity at the London Road North site.
- London Road North Illustrative Masterplan Drawing (pdf)
- London Road North Masterplan – Chapters 1 to 6 (pdf)
- London Road North Masterplan – Chapters 7 to 10 (pdf)
Public consultation documents
Harlow Council carried out a public consultation on the proposed LDO between 28 August 2012 and 25 September 2012.
- London Road North Public Consultation Report (pdf)
- London Road North Statement of Common Ground – Highways Agency (pdf)
- London Road North Statement of Common Ground – Sport England (pdf)
Supporting technical documents
- Arboricultural Report (pdf)
- Contaminated Land Preliminary Risk Assessment (pdf)
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Screening Opinion (pdf)
- Extended Phase 1 Habitat Survey (pdf)
- Flood Risk Assessment
- Historic Environment Assessment (pdf)
- Habitats Regulation Assessment (HRA) Screening Assessment (pdf)
- Topographical Survey
- Transport Assessment and Framework Travel Plan
- Transport Assessment and Framework Part A (pdf)
- Transport Assessment and Framework Part B (pdf)
- Transport Assessment and Framework Part C (pdf)
- Transport Assessment and Framework Part D (pdf)
- Transport Assessment and Framework Part E (pdf)
- Framework Travel Plan Part A (pdf)
- Framework Travel Plan Part B (pdf)
- Framework Travel Plan Part C (pdf)
- Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) Determination (pdf)