Why has the Council made this Local Development Order (LDO)?
Harlow Council has prepared a LDO for the existing industrial area at Templefields North East to support the aims of the West Essex @ Harlow Enterprise Zone. The LDO will last for 10 years from the date of adoption. It provides planning permission subject to conditions for specific classes of business and industrial development (B1 and B2 use classes). This includes:
- building development and associated site infrastructure and facilities
- change of use
- extensions and alterations
- minor operations
The Enterprise Zone designation and the LDO support regeneration objectives in Harlow and aim to generate economic growth and create new job opportunities in the town. The purpose of the LDO is to simplify the planning process and help stimulate the development of the site. The LDO works alongside the formal planning application process and existing UK planning legislation to enable the long-term redevelopment of the Templefields North East site.
Enterprise Zone sector focus
The Enterprise Zone and LDO are sector-led and focused on Harlow and West Essex’s strength in:
- Health and Allied Industries (Medical Technologies)
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Information Communication Technology (ICT)
Adopted Templefields North East LDO
The Council adopted the London Road North LDO in July 2013. Revisions to the LDO which enable phased implementation and combine conditions relating to the relocation of Maypole Sports provision were consulted on in June 2014. Adoptions of amendments were present to Cabinet on 17 July 2014 (agenda item 15). The revised LDO was subsequently adopted in July 2014. The adopted revised documents are available below.
- Templefields North East Order and Schedule (pdf)
- Templefields North East Design Code - includes checklist (pdf)
LDO Confirmation of Compliance Applications
Prior to undertaking LDO development applicants must make a LDO Confirmation of Compliance Application. This is a 28 day fast-track consent process which is available free of charge and enables the Local Planning Authority to confirm whether development proposals are in conformity with the LDO and can be undertaken without the need for planning permission.
To submit a LDO Confirmation of Compliance Application please download and complete the relevant form along with the required plans. The Confirmation of Compliance Application Forms, Protocol and Checklists can be found on the Council’s planning permission applications and fees page. The LDO confirmation of compliance process is outlined in the protocol.
LDO Statement of Reasons
The Statement of Reasons explains the Council’s reasons for making the order. It contains a description of the development permitted by the LDO and a plan identifying the LDO boundary.
Public consultation on the draft LDO
The Council carried out public consultation on the draft LDO between 28 May 2013 and 1 July 2013. Details of the public consultation undertaken, responses received and modifications made to the LDO and associated design code are set out in the Consultation Summary Report:
Supporting technical documents
- Arboricultural Report (pdf)
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Screening Opinion (pdf)
- Extended Phase 1 Habitat Survey (pdf)
- Flood Risk Assessment (pdf)
- Habitats Regulation Screening Assessment (pdf)
- Heritage Impact Assessment Part 1 (pdf)
- Heritage Impact Assessment Part 2 (pdf)
- Historic Environment Assessment ;(pdf)
- Preliminary Risk Assessment (pdf)
- Topographical Survey (pdf)
- Transport Assessment and Framework Travel Plan
- Transport Assessment and Framework Part A (pdf)
- Transport Assessment and Framework Part B (pdf)
- Transport Assessment and Framework Part C (pdf)
- Transport Assessment and Framework Part D (pdf)
- Transport Assessment and Framework Part E (pdf)
- Framework Travel Plan Part A (pdf)
- Framework Travel Plan Part B (pdf)
- Framework Travel Plan Part C (pdf)