Tip: To make a payment you need to type in your reference number.
- Business Rates - the reference number 8 digits long and starts with the number '6'.
- Council Tax - the reference number is 8 digits long and starts with the number '2'.
- Debtors (Sundry Debts) – the reference number is the reference number (minus the 14 prefix) and the invoice number together, with no spaces in-between numbers.
- Housing and garage rents - the reference number is 9 digits long and starts with the number '40'.
- Housing Benefit Overpayments – the reference number is the reference number and the invoice number together, with no spaces in-between numbers.
- House Contents Insurance - the reference number is 9 digits long and starts with the number '40'.
- (Council) Service charges – the reference number is 9 digits long and starts with the number '5'. This is the account number, not your invoice number
If you cannot find your reference number or would like to discuss you account please Contact Harlow
Online payments Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why do I incur an administration charge when using a credit card?
An administration charge will be added to your total payment, when you use a credit card to pay for your Council bill. This charge covers the costs incurred by Harlow Council for processing credit card payments. Both Housing Benefit overpayments and Sundry Debtor bills are exempt from this charge.
How much is the administration charge?
2% of the total amount paid
What cards do you accept online?
With online payments you can pay with any of the following types of credit/debit cards: Mastercard, Visa Delta, Solo, Maestro, Visa and Visa Electron.
I'm not sure if my payment has gone through. What should I do?
Please do not pay again without first checking with your bank to see if your payment has been successful. It will take several days for Harlow Council to refund any duplicate payments to you.
How long does it take for my payment to reach my account?
You should allow at least three working days for your payment to reach your account. Allow an extra day if you make your payment after 5pm or two days if your payment is made at the weekend.
I think I have paid my account twice. What should I do?
You will need to allow your payment time to clear. If you have paid twice please contact an Advisor at Contact Harlow for assistance.
I have made a payment which is not showing on my account. What should I do?
If you have allowed at least three working days and your payment is not showing, please contact an Advisor at Contact Harlow. You will need to provide us with as much detail as possible to enable us to trace the payment. Essential information we may need:
- your receipt number
- the reference number you made the payment to
- the date you made your payment (and time, if known)
- the amount you paid
- the last four digits of the debit/credit card you used
- the name on the debit/credit card you used
I have used the wrong debit/credit card. Can you stop the payment?
We are unable to stop a transactions from completing once you submit your payment. Before the payment is submitted you are able to cancel the payment yourself using the cancel button on the payment screen..