Horse Riding Establishment Licence

To run a riding establishment (where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction) in Harlow you need a licence from the Harlow Council. Licences are issued under the Riding Establishments Act 1964.

Eligibility criteria

You must be over the age of 18 to apply for this licence.

You may not apply for a riding establishment licence if you have ever been disqualified from any of the following:

  • from keeping a riding establishment
  • from keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • from having custody of animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • from keeping boarding establishments for animals under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963
  • under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 from keeping or owning animals, being able to influence how animals are kept, dealing animals or transporting or being involved in the transporting of animals
  • from owning, keeping dealing or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006

Application process

Application forms and current fee are available from the Environmental Health Team via Contact Harlow.

Before deciding an application we must consider a report from a veterinary surgeon or practitioner detailing whether the premises are suitable for a riding establishment, the conditions of the premises and any horses. We will also take into account whether the applicant is suitable and qualified to hold a licence. We must also be satisfied that there will be compliance with the licence conditions.

Can I appeal if my application is refused?

Please contact Harlow Council in the first instance. Any applicant who is refused a licence or wants to object to a condition on the licence can appeal to their local magistrates' court within 21 days of receiving notice of the decision.

Complaints about horse riding establishments

If you wish to complain that a trader is causing a nuisance such as noise, or if you believe that there has been a breach of licence conditions, please contact Contact Harlow.