Licensing - Highways Act 1980 - Tables and Chairs

Licence summary

To place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the pavement in England and Wales you require a licence from your local authority. Conditions may be attached and a fee may be payable. Please see related documents on right for further guidance on the application process, fees, plans and conditions

How to apply

Completed application forms should be returned to the Licensing Team accompanied by the appropriate fee and plan.

Please see Downloads for information on the procedure, conditions and plans.

Planning permission will also be required and the form is entitled ‘Application for planning permission’:

Eligibility Criteria

Frontage and walkway consent may have to be obtained first

Regulation Summary

A summary of this legislation from

Application Evaluation Process

Public notice of the application must be given detailing the proposal and deadline for representations. All representations received must be considered. Any other relevant authorities must be consulted. Consents must not be unreasonably withheld.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance. An appointed arbitrator will determine if consent has been unreasonably withheld.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance. An appointed arbitrator will adjudicate if there is disagreement as to conditions attached.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, the Citizens Advice Bureau will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade Associations