Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing
Under the relevant legislation, Harlow Council is responsible for the licensing of Hackney Carriage vehicles (London style black taxis) and private hire vehicles (often referred to as ‘cabs’ or ‘mini-cabs’ by members of the public and are commonly saloon or estate style cars) in the Harlow area.
Hackney Carriage vehicles can be hailed in the street or they can be hired at any approved Hackney Carriage rank in the district. All private hire cars must be pre-booked through a licensed operator, an operator shall send a vehicle to the passenger for their pre-booked journey.
The main aim of licensing is to ensure the safety of the fare paying public by ensuring that the drivers, vehicles and operators all undergo their relevant checks.
Applying for a Licence
Below is information on the different types of licences:
- Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Driver Licence - new and current applicants information
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence procedure (pdf)
- Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licensing conditions (pdf)
- Private Hire Vehicle procedure (pdf)
- Private Hire Vehicle licensing - conditions (pdf)
- Private Hire Operator Procedure to operate from a Residential Premises (pdf)
- Private Hire Operator Procedure to operate from a Business Premises (pdf)
- Private Hire Operator Licence Conditions (pdf)
- Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Fees
- Hackney Carriage Revised Tariffs (pdf)
- Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Licensing Criminal Convictions’ Policy (pdf)
This policy provides guidance on the criteria taken into account by the Council when determining whether or not an applicant or an existing licence holder is a 'fit and proper person' to hold a Hackney Carriage and/or private hire driver and/or operator licence.
The Licensing Team at Harlow Council recognises that the Private Hire and Hackney Carriage are an important part of the public transport system and have welcomed the introduction of the Keep Safe scheme as it is widely acknowledged that accessing transport services can prove to be difficult for older people. Extending the scheme to the Private Hire and Hackney Carriage trades will help promote more independence for older residents in the community.
Two licensed Harlow drivers are the first to sign up to the scheme. One hackney carriage (black taxi) driver and one private hire driver, both of whom are displaying the Keep Safe sticker in their respective licensed vehicles. Keep Safe assistance will be provided in the usual way, which may include transport. Licensed drivers will still have to adhere to the conditions of their licence before providing any journey.
For further advice or information please contact the Licensing Team.