Vehicular access licence

The Majority of the roads in Harlow are defined as Publicly Maintainable Highway (Adopted Highways) and are maintained by Essex County Council, the Highway Authority for Harlow. Everyone has access over adopted highway. There are also non-adopted areas such as garage forecourts which are owned by Harlow Council. Access over non-adopted areas owned by the Council is granted only to garage tenants or those who have a vehicular access licence. If, for instance, your property backs onto the garage forecourt and you wish to park your car in your rear garden, you would need to request a vehicular access licence from the Council.

How to apply for the vehicular access licence

All requests should be clearly headed ‘Vehicular access licence’ and should be submitted to Property and Facilities Management team

  • By email to: or
  • In writing to: Property and Facilities Management, Harlow Council, Civic Centre, The Water Gardens, Harlow, Essex, CM20 1WG

Costs to set up the licence

  • Standard yearly fee of £300 p.a.
  • The application fee £180 (£150 + VAT) to cover the administration costs of Property and Facilities Management.
  • Harlow Council’s Legal Services fees approx. £400 to cover the costs of preparing the legal documents
  • Costs to drop the kerb, if applicable
  • Your own solicitors fees (if you wish to appoint one)

Please note: All the fees quoted above should be used as a guide only and may not represent what is currently charges by the Council and are subject to periodic review. Some of the fees may vary depending on the nature of the transaction.