Advice from other organisations

If you have difficulty paying your Council bills please contact an Advisor at Contact Harlow in the first instance.

Below is a range of local and national services which provide free advice and information and may be able to help you.

General government advice

You can find a wide range of information on

Local directory

Harlow Frontline
A directory that helps the public and frontline workers quickly find details on local health and wellbeing services offering some call-back and referral options.

For advice on money and debt

Harlow Save - Credit Union
Harlow co-operative offering savings, low interest loans and financial advice
Tel: 01279 451234

Harlow Citizens Advice Bureau
National advice service advising on debt, employment, housing, benefits, consumer and immigration etc.
01279 770189

Citizens Advice Bureau Online

Harlow Advice Centre
Free advice and information on debts, benefits and housing.
01279 704002

Step Change
Free advice on problem debt
0800 1381111

Debt Advice Foundation
Free confidential advice from a UK charity
0800 043 4050

Online resource for debts, benefits, etc.

Money Saving Expert
Martin Lewis's website offering consumer and debt advice.

Insolvency Service Enquiry Line
Offers advice to frequently asked questions regarding insolvency
0300 678 0015

National Debtline
A free phone line that offers confidential and independent advice for people with debt problems.
0800 808 4000

Report a Loan Shark
Advice and support for those affected by loan sharks
0300 555 2222

Talk About Debt
Free independent debt advice
0808 156 7730

National agency offering free debt advise, debt management plans, debt tools debt relief and bankruptcy advice
Tel; 0800 250 0869

Debt Support Trust
Debt advice and support
0800 085 0226

Business Debt Line
Free confidential advice for small businesses
0800 197 6026

Turn 2 Us
Charity that helps check benefit eligibility
0808 802 2000

Online benefits calculator

The Money Advice Service
Free and impartial money advice, set up by government
0800 1387777

For advice on employment matters

Harlow Citizens Advice Bureau
National advice service advising on debt, employment, housing, benefits, consumer and immigration etc
01279 770189

ACAS (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service)
Independent advice service
0300 123 1100

Health and Safety Executive
National independent watchdog for work related health, safety and illness
0300 003 1747

Specialist employment support charity working with people experiencing mental ill health
01279 450299

Job Centre Plus
Advice on finding a job
0345 604 3719

For advice on housing

Street 2 Homes
Local charity giving advice, support and subsidised meals to those homeless or vulnerably housed
01279 430011

You can refer yourself or someone you are concerned about to this national charity, that assists rough sleepers and are able to connect them to local authorities and support services
0808 800 4444

Harlow Citizens Advice Bureau
National advice service advising on debt, employment, housing, benefits, consumer and immigration etc.
01279 770189

Harlow Advice Centre
Free advice and information on debts, benefits and housing
01279 704002

National Charity giving advice on all matters relating to housing and homelessness
0300 330 1234

The Chocolate Run incorporating the Harlow Haven
Local charity providing a weekly drop-in for the homeless in Harlow

Moat Housing
Housing Association involved with Home Buy shared ownership opportunities locally
0300 323 0011

The Leasehold Advisory Service (LEASE)

Provides free advice on leasehold properties, including guidance on service charges and ground rent
020 7383 9800

For advice on family and personal matters

Harlow Children’s Centre Network
One stop shops for children under five and their families
01279 772600 

Essex Mediation
Mediation service for family/neighbour disputes
01245 492200

Safer Places
Independent domestic abuse charity supporting adults and children affected by abuse
03301 025811

Family Mosaic
Offering support to vulnerable adults
Tel: 0300 123 3456

Family Solutions
Assist families who have two or more specific difficulties with a range of issues
01279 691108  

Harlow Food Bank
Three days food vouchers for those in need
01279 724515

For advice on education

Harlow Education Consortium
In place to improve education opportunities and outcomes for children in schools within Harlow
01279 446725

Harlow College
The local college covering all aspects of further education
01279 868000

Essex County Council
Information on schooling, early years and childcare.
0843 603 2200

Department of Education
General information regarding all aspect of education
0370 000 2288

National Union of Students (NUS)
Represents the interests of students in further and higher education
0845 5210 262

University of the Third Age (U3A)
A learning co-operative of active older people to share educational, creative and leisure opportunities
01920 420458

Local adult community learning
Local adult community college courses
0345 603 7635

For advice on child and adult Safeguarding 

Essex Safeguarding Children Board
General enquiries: 0333 013 8936 or
Training enquires: 0333 013 8937 or
Essex Safeguarding Children Board Room C228, County Hall, Chelmsford CM1 1QH
If you are concerned about a child call 0345 603 7627

Essex Safeguarding Adult Board
General enquiries: 03330 131019 or
Training enquiries: 03330 139913 or
ESAB Support Team, E3 (Zone 1), County Hall, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 1QH
If you are concerned about an adult call Social Care Direct 0345 6037630

For advice on taxes

HM Revenues and Customs
Information regarding all types of tax such as income tax, self assessment, VAT and NI contributions

  • Taxes Helpline 0300 200 3300
  • Child Benefit Helpline 0300 200 3100
  • National Insurance Enquiries 0300 200 3500
  • Self Assessment Helpline 0300 200 3310
  • Employer Helpline 0300 200 3200

Tax Credits Helpline
Advice and information on child and working tax credits
0345 300 3900

For advice on immigration and nationality

Integration Support Service
Supports the successful integration of all migrants, refugee's, BME community members and groups in Harlow and Essex
01279 639422

The Home Office
Lead government department for immigration, passports, counter terrorism, policing, drugs, crime and applying for British citizenship.
0300 123 4699

For advice on health

ADAS (Alcohol & Drugs Advisory Service)
Charity offering a drop-in service to support people who experience substance misuse
01279 641347

CDAT (Community Drug & Alcohol Team)
A team of health & social work professionals who work with drug and alcohol users
01279 698721

Family Planning Association (FPA)
Advice on sexual health, family planning and contraception
01279 694915

Community Mental Health Team
Service offered: assessment and treatment of patients with severe, complex and enduring mental health difficulties
01279 635670

Mind in West Essex
Support for people with mental health issues
01279 421309

Healthy Minds
Therapy for adults with common mental health problems
0300 222 5943

For legal advice

Civil Legal Advice (CLA)
Get free and confidential legal advice if you’re eligible for legal aid
0345 345 4345

The Law Society
Advice on legal issues along with contact details for local solicitors