Animal boarding and pet shops

Animal boarding establishment

To run a boarding kennel or cattery in Harlow, you need a licence from Harlow Council. The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions. Harlow Council may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises.

Pet shop licence

To run a business selling pet animals in Harlow you need a licence from Harlow Council. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.

Eligibility criteria - pet shop

You may not apply for a pet shop licence if you have ever been disqualified from any of the following:

To apply

Please complete and return your application form to Harlow Council with the appropriate fee as detailed on the application form:

Application process

Once an application has been received, we will arrange for an inspection of the premises by an Harlow Council authorised officer. Before granting a licence, we must be satisfied that there are satisfactory arrangements in place for the safety and the welfare of the animals. If necessary, we may require specialist advice of a veterinary surgeon or practitioner. Any costs associated with this are payable by the applicant.

Can I appeal if my application is refused?

Please contact Harlow Council to discuss your application with the Environmental Health Team. Any applicant who is refused a licence or wants to object to a condition on the licence can appeal to their local magistrates' court within 21 days of receiving notice of the decision.

Complaints about pet shops or animal boarding establishments

If you wish to complain that a pet shop or animal boarding establishment is causing a nuisance, or if you believe that there has been a breach of licence conditions, please contact Harlow Council.

You can report noise or dog fouling complaints online.