Benefits - reporting fraud

Our aim as a Council is to pay the right benefit and/or support to the right person at the right time and to help us to do this we need your help. We work with the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to investigate fraud. If you know or think that someone is in receipt of benefit and/or Council Tax Support when they should not be, it is important that you tell us as soon as possible. The more information you provide the better our chances will be in stopping the abuse and obtaining a possible prosecution.

The following is a list of some of the things which will help us investigate allegations quickly:

  • What type of fraud is being committed: working while in receipt of benefit and/or support, undeclared partner present, not living at the address, undeclared saving such as a large lottery or bingo win, undeclared inheritance etc,
  • If the fraud involves an undeclared person their name if known and a description of him or her.
  • If the undeclared person uses a vehicle, the registration number, make, model and colour and where it is usually parked.
  • If the allegation involves work the time and days that the person leaves and comes back to the house, and the name of the employer if known. If they use a vehicle or are picked up the name on the car or van if any.
  • If the allegation involves undeclared money when it was received how much, if known and where it came from.

More information on benefit fraud

There are several ways that you can the DWP what you believe is wrong:

  • By telephone: you can call National Benefit Fraud Hotline on 0800 854 440
  • By post: letters should be sent to NBFH, PO Box 224, Preston, PR1 1GP
  • Report it online: using the secure National Benefit Fraud Hotline online form