Building Control - Foul and Surface Water Drainage

Private Sewer Transfer

Since October 2011 water and sewerage companies in England and Wales have been responsible for most private sewers. The Private Sewers Transfer Regulations do not amend the Building Regulations in any way and there is no obligation for Building Control to consult with the sewerage undertaker in Harlow, which is Thames Water Authority, unless the drain or sewer is shown on the map of sewers, in accordance with the requirements of Building Regulation

However it is strongly recommended that prior to making a Building Regulation submission for proposed work involving a building over or within 3 metres of a private sewer, Thames Water Authority is contacted for their advice.

Please visit: Thames Water website for further details.