Bulky collections

Harlow Council bulky reuse scheme in conjunction with ECCO

Many of the things we throw away haven’t always reached the end of their useful life. Donating items for reuse is not only good for the environment, but can help the local community too. Something you no longer need can still be used and appreciated by someone else. That’s why we’ve set up, with local charity ECCO, a bulky waste reuse scheme to find those items!.

If you think you have an item(s) that can be reused and are happy for us to refer the booking on to ECCO, please complete the reuse form. ECCO will then contact you within two working days and visit you to find out if the item can be reused. If so the item(s) will be collected for free and donated to their charity shops, where it may be sold and the proceeds invested back in to the local community.

Some of the items that ECCO may collect is furniture, electrical items, bric-a-brac and household items. All items are checked for suitability for reuse and electrical items are additionally tested for electrical safety.

ECCO reuse referral form

Bulky collections - fridge freezer, sofa, cooker and PCBulky collections (Heavy Squad)

Harlow Council offers a bulky collection service to pick up unwanted household items.

Electrical items, such as washing machines, fridges, fridge freezers, ovens, microwaves, vacuum cleaners and computers can be recycled and so are free to book.

Non-electrical items, such as furniture and smaller household items, which are not recycled by us are chargeable for collection.

The charge per booking depends on the quantity and type of items. If there is a charge for collection then this will need to be paid at time of booking. Should you wish to cancel please read the refund procedure for bookings. The following prices all include VAT:

  • 1 to 5 items £25
  • 6 to 8 items £37.50
  • 9 to 12 items £54.18
  • 13 to 16 items £70.86
  • Electrical items are free to book

​If you have different items for collection, you may have more than one collection date.

Book a bulky collection

Alternatively you can book through Contact Harlow.

Other disposal options

There are other recycling and selling sites available and some are free to list:

You can search for a licensed skip firm through comparison sites like:

  • www.skipandbin.com
    Please note: Harlow Council is not responsible or endorse the content on this comparison website - other comparison websites may be available.

Check waste carrier licence

Please note if you do not use the Council and use a company or individual to take away your household waste, please check that they have a waste carrier licence. Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, anyone who books someone to take away household waste which is then fly-tipped, could be fined up to £5,000. Until items are taken to a landfill or recycling site they are the householder’s responsibility.

Check for waste carrier licence