Problems with a licensed premises

We grant premises licences to places that sell alcohol or provide entertainment such as pubs, nightclubs and music venues.

If you believe that a premises licence holder is not keeping to any of our 4 licensing objectives, you can make an application to review their licence. 

The 4 licensing objectives are:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

Before you apply for a formal review, you could try to resolve the issue by:

  • talking to the licence holder to see if they’re prepared to rectify the issue
  • asking the Licensing Team to talk to the license holder on your behalf
  • asking your local MP or councillor to speak to the licence holder on your behalf
  • reporting a noise problem to our Environmental Health team (if the problem is related to noise)
  • reporting crime and disorder to the police (if the problem is related to crime)

To apply for a review of a premises licence or club premises certificate, you need to:

Your application will be stronger if other nearby residents, businesses and responsible authorities support your application.

If we decide to review a premises licence, there will be a 28-day period for representations

Contact information

Harlow Council
Civic Centre
The Water Gardens
College Square
Harlow CM20 1WG