Making a complaint about a Councillor

Under Section 28(6) and (7) of the Localism Act 2011, the Council must have in place “arrangements” under which allegations that a Councillor or co-opted member of the Council or of a Committee or Sub-Committee of the Council, has failed to comply with Code of Conduct can be investigated and decisions made on such allegations.

Such arrangements must provide for the Council to appoint at least one Independent Person, whose views must be sought by the Council before it takes a decision on an allegation which it has decided shall be investigated, and whose views can be sought by the Council at any other stage, or by a member against whom an allegation has been made. Harlow has decided to appoint two Independent Persons to assist in these arrangements.

The Monitoring Officer is a senior officer of the authority who has statutory responsibility for maintaining the register of Councillors’ interests and who is responsible for administering the system in respect of complaints of Councillor misconduct.

In order to ensure that we have all the information which we need to be able to process your complaint, please complete and send us the complaint form available below or from Contact Harlow.

Please return your completed form to:

The Monitoring Officer
Harlow Council
Civic Centre
The Water Gardens

Or email the Deputy Monitoring Officer at: