FoI/EIR requests for information

Freedom of Information / Environmental Information

The main aim of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOI) and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 (EIR) (which cover environmental information e.g. waste and planning matters) is to make public authorities more open and transparent. Under the legislation you can ask for any information held by Harlow Council. However, requests for information held about you are dealt with under the Data Protection Act 1998.

How to make a Request For Information (RFI)

You can request information by downloading the RFI application form (pdf) or email: or write to:

Contact Harlow
Harlow Council
Civic Centre
CM20 1WG

Please provide your name and address for correspondence and a description of the information or documents you would like to access. We will provide a response within 20 working days. The Council’s Access to Information Policy (pdf) sets out the Council’s approach to handling requests for information.

A fee for postage or photocopying may be charged if the cost equates to more than £5.00. Full explanation of the fees and charges process is available in the Council’s Access to Information – Fees and Charges Policy (pdf).

There are some exemptions that prevent certain information being released; however we will always endeavour to release as much information as possible. If exemptions are applied, you will be told what they are and why they apply to your request. You can request a review of any decision you disagree with using the Council’s FoI/EIR complaints procedure. If you are still unhappy with the decision you can appeal to the Information Commissioner.

Alternative sources of information

Harlow Council already makes available a large amount of information through several means. You could try the following sources to find the information you are looking for:

Further information

These notes are for guidance only. The law is set out in the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulation 2004, a copy of which is obtainable from Further information and advice can be obtained from:

Information Commissioner
Wycliff House
Water Lane
Wilmslow, Cheshire