Food registration and approval

If you are uncertain whether your business in Harlow needs to be approved or registered, please contact an Advisor at Contact Harlow.

Food premises registration summary

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises in Harlow you need to be registered with Harlow Council. Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans/carts and food delivery vans.

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by the local authority or the Food Standards Agency, rather than registered.

How to register

To register your food premises you will need to complete a Food registration form and guidance notes (pdf)

Food premises approval summary

If you operate food premises in the Harlow District you may need to be approved by Harlow Council. Examples of the types of premises that are required to be approved by local authorities are stand alone (i.e. not attached to a slaughter house, cutting plant or game handling establishment):

  •  meat processing plants
  •  meat preparation plants
  •  minced meat processing operations and mechanically separated meat processing plants
  •  cold stores 

How to apply for approval

For businesses in Harlow, please contact an Advisor at Contact Harlow for all enquiries and applications forms. For failed application redress or licence holder redress please contact Harlow Council in the first instance.