Food safety business start up advice

What you need to do if you are setting up a new food business

Before you take on a new premises, it is worth checking that you have all the necessary planning permission for the premises to be used as a food business - if you do not, you may find that you are unable to operate a food business from your new premises.

We would always encourage you to speak to an officer in Environmental Health at an early stage to seek advice on whether the premises are suitable for a food business, and what you would need to do to comply with the relevant legal requirements.

Harlow Council's Environmental Health are concerned not only with food safety, but also preventing accidents to staff and the public. We will also consider whether you need to take steps to prevent any cooking smells or noise from causing a nuisance to your neighbours.

Before you start trading you will need to register your food business with us. You also need to consider food hygiene training for yourself, your managers, supervisors and other staff.

More information

More information can be found on the Food Standards Agency website.