Home repair loan
If you need help financing repairs, you may be able to apply for a discretionary home repair loan.
To be eligible for a home repair loan, you need to:
- own the property which you live in
- have lived in your property for at least a year
- receive at least one means-tested benefit
To apply for a loan, you need to:
In some cases a loan may be available for a registered disabled person or someone over the age of 60.
The loan can be used for repairs up to a limit of £5,000 in any 5 year period.
The loan is interest free, but needs to be repaid when the property is next sold or ownership transferred.
If you have a disability and need adaptations in your home to make it easier to live in, you can apply for a grant to help with the cost.
Things that we might be able to help with include:
- adapted bathroom facilities
- stair lifts
- access ramps
- walk in showers
- door widening level thresholds
- improved heating and ventilation
- small works to prevent falls and improve home safety
- the cost of moving to a more suitable home
To be able to apply for a grant, you need to first arrange an assessment by Essex County Council
Some grants for adults are means tested, but not for children.
If you are a council tenant, we can arrange suitable adaptations directly - contact your housing officer for information.
For more information on how we can help with home adaptations, you can read our private housing assistance policy (pdf)