Home repair loan and disabled facilities grant

Home repair loan

Home repair loans may be available for owner occupiers to carry out repairs to their property such as replacement windows, doors and roofing works up to a limit of £5,000 in any five year period. The loans are interest free and are repaid when the property is next sold or ownership transferred. In order to qualify for this type of assistance you will need to be in receipt of at least one means tested benefit such as income support or guaranteed pension credit. In some cases a loan may be available for a registered disabled person or someone over the age of 60 years.

If you would like some advice about home repair loans please contact an Advisor at Contact Harlow

Disabled facilities grant

This type of grant is available to people with disabilities of any age for them to carry out adaptations in the home in order to allow them to move around and access the usual facilities in the home more easily. Typical works include adapted bathroom facilities, stairlifts, and access ramps. Disabled facilities grants for adults are means tested. A means test does not apply for disabled children.

Eligible clients for the disabled facilities grant are usually signposted to Harlow Council as a result of assessment of need by Essex County Council. Harlow Council must consult Essex County Council about any disabled facilities grant, so it is best to arrange for an assessment by them at the outset. For more information on assessments please see Living Well Essex website.

If you would like some advice about how to apply for a disabled facilities grant please contact an Advisor at Contact Harlow.