Licensing - Street trading licence

If you want to sell on the street you need a street trading licence.

You will be able to apply for a street trading licence if you:

  • are over 17
  • have the right to live and work in the UK
  • do not have any of the relevant criminal convictions (more information in the application form)


To apply for a personal licence, you need to:

  • complete the application form (pdf)
  • send the application form to the Licensing Team
  • pay the £375 fee
  • submit one full-faced passport sized photo
  • submit a photograph of the vehicle or stall to be used
  • submit a copy of waste transfer agreement
  • submit a copy of public liability insurance
  • submit landowner details (if trading on private land)
  • submit details of employees that will work at vehicle
  • submit a location plan where the vehicle is to be sited (for fixed site applications only)
  • submit a copy of MOT and insurance certificate (for mobile licences only)
  • contact the Planning Team about planning permission (new applications only)


There are some areas in Harlow where street trading is not allowed. Read the list of prohibited streets.

Once you have made an application, you need to:

  • advertise your application in the local newspaper – for new applications for a mobile street trading licence
  • advertise your application at your fixed site


Once we receive your application, we will:

  • acknowledge it within five working days
  • contact other authorities if necessary, such as the police or Essex Highways
  • allow 14 days for representations


We will only refuse your application if:

  • There isn't enough space in the street you wish to trade in, without causing interference or inconvenience to street users.
  • You wish to trade for less days than any minimum required trading days.
  • You have previously failed to pay fees due under another street trading licence or have failed to use a previous street trading licence.

If we receive any representations, we will take the application to a hearing for councillors to consider. We will then notify you of their decision.

If we do not grant your licence, we will not refund your fee, but you can appeal the decision by writing to us. Appeals are made to a Magistrates' court within 21 days of notice of the decision.

If we do not receive any representations, we will grant the licence.