We are redeveloping Prentice Place in Potter Street for retail and residential use and new open public areas
What is the work?
The £3 million project will transform the small neighbourhood shopping centre with:
- new pitched roofs on all residential blocks
- new windows throughout
- complete refurbishment of the inside and outside of 15 homes which will include Council housing
- creating a new car parking area
- transforming the public spaces at the front and back of the centre
- new ramps and entrance doors to all shops
- new storage facilities at the rear of shops to tidy up the area
Why is the work needed?
Major elements of the building have come to the end of their natural life.
We have taken the opportunity to use the refurbishment of the whole neighbourhood centre to help invigorate the area.
- Proposed Prentice Place - Elevations 14-017-A-1-207 (pdf)
- Proposed Prentice Place - Elevations 14-017-A-1-206 C (pdf)
- Proposed Prentice Place - Ground Floor 14-017-A-1-202 G (pdf)
- Proposed Prentice Place - Ground floor 14-017-A-1-201 F (pdf)
- Proposed Prentice Place - Elevations 14-017-A-1-207 D (pdf)
- Proposed Prentice Place - Elevations 14-017-A-1-206 F (pdf)
- Proposed Prentice Place - Ground Floor 14-017-A-1-202 N (pdf)
- Proposed Prentice Place - Ground floor 14-017-A-1-201 M (pdf)
- Construction – Landscaping 14-017-A-1-509 C (pdf)
Public consultation was held in August 2016, where residents and traders met Council representatives and the design team behind the plans.
Planning permission was granted on 15 November 2016 (HW/FUL/16/00413).
We have appointed Architecture & Design Services Ltd as the architect and Faithful & Gould as the consultant.
We have appointed Vinci Contruction UK Ltd as the contractor.
Work started in February 2018.
Works are expected to be completed in July 2019.
Impact on residents
Car parking and access to the rear of the centre will be restricted for a period of time.
The contractor will work with the retailers, but some of the works will have a direct impact on them.
There will be good communication throughout and neighbours will be updated regularly.