Housing, garage and hardstanding rents

You can pay your Council housing, garage or hardstanding rent

  • online
  • by Direct Debit
  • by credit or debit card
  • by standing order
  • by cheque
  • in cash

Pay your Housing and garage rent online

Your rent is due every Monday for the week ahead. You can pay weekly or monthly, in advance.

Direct Debit

Direct Debit is the cheapest and most convenient method of paying rent for Council homes, garages and hardstandings.

With this method you can choose to pay either on the 1st, 15th or 25th of every month. Most banks will do this free of charge as long as there is enough money in your account to cover the payment.

To start paying by Direct Debit you will need to

You can also pick up the form in person from Contact Harlow at the Civic Centre

Credit or debit card

You can pay by credit or debit card:

Standing order

To start paying by standing order you will need to

You can also pick up the form in person from Contact Harlow at the Civic Centre

After the standing order has been set up on your rent account, you should then manage this, making sure payments are for the correct amount and paid on time by your bank.

If you would like to make a payment using your bank's telephone internet banking please contact us to find out our bank details.


To start paying by cheque, you need to:

  • make cheques payable to Harlow District Council
  • write your rent card reference on the back
  • send the cheque to Housing Services, Civic Centre, The Water Gardens, Harlow CM20 1WG

You can also pay cheques in person at Contact Harlow

Post-dated cheques are not accepted. 


You can pay your rent in cash at Contact Harlow. Please keep the receipt safe for future reference.

Please do not send cash through the post.

Rent statements

Harlow Council will write to you every year to advise you of the amount of rent you should pay.

If we change your rent, we will give you four weeks’ notice in writing.

You will also receive a rent statement for housing every quarter showing your payments and balance.

Statements for separate garages or hardstandings are not sent out, however you a can request a rent statement from Contact Harlow.

Responsibility for paying

You must pay your rent on time, whichever method of payment you choose.

If you are joint tenants, you are both responsible, for paying the whole rent. This means that if one tenant does not pay any rent, we can demand the full payment from the other tenant.

If you are a Council tenant and your garage or hardstanding is included in your Council tenancy, then you will not receive a separate garage or hardstanding rent card and payment is included in your housing rent.

If your garage or hardstanding is not included in your Council tenancy or you are not a Council tenant, you will receive a separate rent card.

Housing Benefit does not normally cover garage or hardstanding rent, unless the garage or hardstanding is included in the tenancy.