Most of the roads in Harlow are adopted highways and are maintained by Essex County Council.
Everyone has access over an adopted highway.
There are also non-adopted areas, like garage forecourts, which are owned by Harlow Council.
We give access to non-adopted areas to garage tenants or those who have a vehicular access licence.
If, for example, your house backs onto the garage forecourt and you wish to park your car in your rear garden, you would need to request a vehicular access licence from the Council.
You can apply for a vehicular access license by:
- emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or
- sending a letter to Property and Facilities Management, Harlow Council, Civic Centre, The Water Gardens, Harlow, Essex, CM20 1WG
- annual fee of £300
- application fee £180 (£150 + VAT) to cover administration costs
- our legal fees, approximately £400
- costs to drop the kerb (if we need to)
- your own solicitors fees (if you appoint one)
These fees should be used as a guide only. The fees are reviewed regularly and may change depending on the nature of the transaction