Animals - dead or injured

What you need to do depends on the type of animal, and whether you were involved in an accident with it.

Report a car accident with an animal

You must stop and report the accident to the police by calling 101 if you hit any:

  • dogs
  • horses
  • cattle, e.g. cows
  • pigs
  • goats
  • sheep
  • donkeys and mules

You must do this within 24 hours, whether the animal is killed or not.

Accidents involving other animals such as cats, badgers, foxes, rabbits and pheasants do not need to be reported as a road traffic collision.

Report a dead animal to Harlow Council

You can report any dead animals you find on public land in Harlow to Harlow Council. This includes wild animals like badgers and foxes, as well as domestic pets such as cats and dogs or larger animals such as horses and cows.

Animal welfare concerns

If you are concerned about the welfare of an animal you can report cruelty online to the RSPCA or call the RSPCA Cruelty line on 0300 1234 999.


Bats are excellent fliers but occasionally take a wrong turn! A flying bat in a house is looking for a way out. If it is dark, open any external doors and windows as widely as possible and turn off the lights. You may have to wait a while, but the bat should fly out of its own accord. Never try to catch a flying bat. It is likely to become injured and you risk being bitten in self-defence.

If you find a bat injured or in distress please call the Essex Bat Group Ambulance Drivers for immediate help and advice. Contact details for Essex Bat Group


if you find a Badger in the road (dead or alive) please call the Essex Badger Hotline on 07751 572 175 or visit: Badger Group website

Tethered horses

Under current law tethering is not illegal and welfare professionals can only intervene to help a tethered horse if the horse is suffering in some way.

More information on tethered horses and how to report concerns