Many activities in the town, particularly some types of entertainment, require licences. Harlow Council is responsible for issuing these licences and ensuring that the law is not broken.
Traders/retailers that may need a licence include, betting shops/bingo halls/family entertainment centres, sex shops and cinemas, motor salvage businesses and Bars/clubs/restaurants (for sale of alcohol and entertainment purposes).
Harlow Council has responsibility for the following areas of licensing:
- Licensing Act 2003
Personal and premises licences, Club Premises Certificate, temporary events notices and public notices of applications and reviews
- Gambling Act 2005
Alcohol Licence, Club Gaming/Gaming Machine Permit and Premises Licence
- Designation Public Place Orders
Designated public areas where there is evidence of nuisance or disorder associated with the consumption of alcohol
- Highways Act 1980 - Portable A Boards
Licence to place an advertising board or display on the highway or pavement
- Highways Act 1980 - Tables and Chairs
Licence to place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture on the pavement
- Taxi Check Live! ®
An online form to check a taxi is registered with Harlow Council's Taxi Licence database
- Taxi licence
Hackney Carriage vehicles (black taxis) and private hire vehicles (mini-cabs)
- Charity street collections
- Charity house to house collections
- Hypnotism licence
- Pleasure boat licence
- Scrap metal licence
- Sex shop and cinema licence
- Street trading licence
- Vehicular access licence
- Food, animals, caravans, environmental protection, Houses in Multiple Occupation and beauty licences
The Licensing Team receive enquiries about licensing schemes that are administered by other bodies, below are contact details for the most frequent requests:
- Child models, acting and escorts (entertainment) - Essex County Council
- Door supervisors and private security Licences - SIA Security Industry Authority
- Fishing Rod Licence - Environment Agency or the licence can be purchased from your local Post Office
- Narrow boat - register a boat kept or used on inland waterways, e.g. rivers and canals.
- PRS Music Licence - Performing Rights Society
- PPL (Music) Licence - Phonographic Performance Ltd
- Showing films in public - GOV.UK
- Skip and Scaffolding (on public highway) Licence - Essex County Council
Harlow Council Licensing Team also organises the successful BOBB pubwatch scheme, that bans known troublemakers from town centre pubs and clubs, piloting a taxi marshal scheme at the town centre cab ranks to help minimise trouble and help people to leave the area on Friday and Saturday nights and also regularly conducts enforcement work in bars and pubs to ensure that there are no banned drugs on the customers or on premises.
Working with Essex County Council Trading Standards, we carrying out test purchasing of alcohol and other age limited goods to ensure that shopkeepers are complying with the law.
For information on any of the licenses issued by Harlow Council please contact the Licensing Team on 01279 446005 / 446009 or email: email@example.com or by post:
The Water Gardens