Gambling Act 2005 - Premises licence

You can apply for a premises licences if you already have an operating licence and a personal licence issued by the Gambling Commission.

The types of premises we licence are:

  • casino
  • bingo
  • betting (at tracks)
  • betting (at other premises)
  • adult gaming centre
  • family entertainment centre

All premises licences will allow the use of gaming machines.

The type of licence you have will affect the number and type of machines you can operate.

To apply for a premises licence, you need to:

Once you have made an application, you will need to:

  • advertise your application outside your premises using the single or joint applicant notice form
  • send copies of the application and attachments to The Gambling Commission and Police within 7 days of the application being made - see contact details (pdf)

Once we receive your application, we will:

  • acknowledge it within five working days
  • allow 28 days for representations

If we receive any representations, we will take the application to a hearing for councillors to consider. We will then notify you of their decision.

If we do not grant your permit, we will not refund your fee, but you can appeal the decision by writing to us. Appeals are made to a Magistrates' court within 21 days of notice of the decision.

If we do not receive any representations, we will grant the permit.

If you want to vary, transfer or reinstate a premises licence, please contact us for the forms.