If you are currently homeless or you think you might become homeless in the next 10 days, it's important you contact us as soon as possible. You can contact us by phoning 01279 446655.
If you are not currently homeless but think you might lose your home in the next 56 days (8 weeks), you need to fill out our online homelessness assessment form.
To complete this form you will need:
- your personal details
- your address (including the date you moved in)
- your job details including income
- National Insurance number
- details of any other household members
- details of any properties you have owned or tenancies
What happens next
Once you have submitted the form, one of our Housing Officers will contact you within 5 working days to see if and how we can help you.
We do not have a duty to help everyone. To get help from us, you must qualify under immigration rules. If you live permanently in the UK, you will be eligible for help.
If you are eligible for help, we will create a personal housing plan for you.
The aim of the plan is to help you keep your home or find alternative accommodation. This does not have to be council housing and could be a private rented tenancy.
You will be able to log in to your homelessness case account online to access your plan.
We will only arrange emergency housing if you are legally homeless and have a priority need
We will work with you for:
- up to 8 weeks if you're threatened with homelessness
- a further 8 weeks if you become homeless
We will help for longer than 8 weeks if you've been given a section 21 notice and are still facing homelessness when the notice period ends.
If you're still homeless after 8 weeks, we will make a final decision on whether you qualify for longer-term housing.
You won't qualify unless you:
- are still legally homeless
- meet the immigration conditions
- fall into a priority need group
- are homeless through no fault of your own
- have a local connection to Harlow