Civic Awards recognise our unsung community champions who have gone the extra mile for Harlow and its residents.
Community organisations and individual volunteers make a huge contribution to lives across Harlow from organising clubs, helping in schools, running cultural and social events, walking dogs, helping elderly neighbours, volunteering at youth club and by providing social networks which can reduce isolation and enable people to live independently for longer.
There are 3 award categories:
- citizen of the year
- young citizen of the year (up to the age of 18)
- sports and culture award
You can nominate a resident, group or organisation who has contributed to Harlow for an award as long as the nominee meets any of the following criteria for that award.
- achieved something particularly noteworthy for Harlow
- improved the health and wellbeing of local residents
- helped people improve their educational and vocational capability
- done something which has made people feel safer or happier
- made a physical improvement to Harlow’s environment
- improved employment opportunities for residents.
- improved the reputation of Harlow
Nominations can be made until 5pm on Friday 2 April 2021.
Selecting the winners
Following the deadline date, all the nominations will be passed to the Civic Awards Judging Panel who will meet in April 2021 to draw up a shortlist of finalists and select the winner of each award category.
All nominations will be judged on how the individual or community group has made a difference to their community, helped people or inspired others.
The judging panels will consist of the chair of the council, the vice-chair of the council, 2 councillors and the chief executive or head of governance
Depending on the restrictions at the time, the awards winners would normally be invited to attend the Annual Council meeting in May 2021 at the Civic Centre, Harlow Essex CM20 1WG to receive their certificate, however this may be done virtually.