Voting in the general election

If you can't make polling day, you still have until 5pm on 26 June to apply for a proxy vote. If you will be voting in person, remember to bring your ID. No ID? Apply for a Voter Authority Certificate by 5pm on 26 June.

Contaminated land

Land is legally defined as ‘contaminated land’ where substances have a significant possibility of causing:

  • harm to people, property or protected species
  • pollution of surface waters (for example lakes and rivers) or groundwater

As a council, we are responsible for:

  • identifying contaminated land
  • maintaining a contaminated land strategy (pdf)
  • maintaining a contaminated land public register (there are no sites registered in Harlow)

We will investigate land when there are applications for planning permission or building regulations approval.

If we think there could be a risk to the land, we will put conditions on approvals to make sure that the risk is properly addressed.

If you are a developer or landowner, you can contact us to discuss contaminated land and the planning process. You can also read our technical guidance on contaminated land (pdf)

You can find more information about contaminated land on GOV.UK

Contaminated land public register

Under section 78R of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, the council has a responsibility to keep a register of contaminated land in the Harlow district.

We have carried out investigations, but at this time we have not identified any land that is causing harm as defined by Part IIA of the act and we do not have any other information that would be required for the register. Therefore, the register contains no entries.

Contact information

Environmental Health
Harlow Council
Civic Centre
The Water Gardens
College Square
Harlow CM20 1WG