May elections

You must register to vote in the upcoming May elections before Wednesday 17 April. If you cannot attend the elections, you can apply for a postal vote before 5pm on Wednesday 17 April. Find all the key dates on our election news page.


Report a dead or injured animal

You can report any dead animals you find on public land in Harlow to us. This includes:

  • badgers
  • foxes
  • cats
  • dogs
  • horses
  • cows

Once we receive your report we will arrange the animal's removal during normal office hours Monday to Friday.

Car accidents with animals 

Most car accidents involving animals do not need to be reported to the police. This includes animals like:

  • cats
  • badgers
  • foxes
  • rabbits
  • pheasants

However, you need to report the accident to the police by calling 101 if your car hits a:

  • dog
  • horse
  • cow
  • pig
  • goat
  • sheep

You need to report it to the police within 24 hours, whether the animal is killed or not.

Animal welfare concerns


If you find a bat injured or in distress, you can:

If you find a bat in a house, you need to:

  • open any doors and windows as wide as possible
  • turn off the lights

You may have to wait a while, but the bat should fly out of its own accord.

Never try to catch a flying bat. It is likely to become injured and you risk being bitten in self-defence.


If you find a badger in the road (dead or alive), you can: