If your property was constructed before 1999 it is possible that it contains materials made from asbestos.

If asbestos materials are in good condition, and in a place where they are unlikely to be disturbed, then they should not cause any harm.

It is only when the materials are damaged or disturbed so that fibres are released, that asbestos can become a danger.

Report asbestos

If you think there may be asbestos in your property, it is important not to disturb it.

If you are a council tenant, you need to contact us on 01279 446655 and we will get an asbestos specialist to inspect the materials.

If you are a private tenant or housing association tenant, you will need to contact your landlord.

If you are a private owner you should get a licensed contractor to inspect and if necessary, remove the asbestos.

A full list of licensed contractors is on the Health and Safety Executive website

Remove asbestos

It is against the law to put any asbestos waste in a dustbin. You also cannot take asbestos to the Harlow Recycling Centre (the dump). 

Essex residents can request a collection of bonded asbestos (asbestos cement), if the asbestos is from your own household. A subsidised collection is available for each household in Essex, every financial year. You can request a collection on the Love Essex website

For more advice about what to do about asbestos, look at the Health and Safety Executive website

You can also read our: