Gas safety

Gas leaks

If you smell gas or think you have a gas leak, call the National Grid Emergency Service on 0800 111 999

They will advise you on gas safety and can provide an emergency response to make a property safe if there is a gas leak.

If the gas leak is in your home, you will need to:

  • not turn any electrical switches on or off
  • not use any naked flame, smoke a cigarette or anything that could ignite
  • open all doors and windows to ventilate the house

When you call the National Grid to report a gas leak, you will need to provide:

  • the address and location of the suspected gas leak
  • number of people at the property
  • where the smell is most noticeable
  • how long the smell has been noticeable
  • whether any neighbours are affected
  • your name and phone number
  • any special circumstances or access information


If you are a council tenant, we are responsible for gas safety.

We are required by law to check your gas appliances at least once a year.

You will need to give access to your home for these important gas safety checks.

Gas safety checks are free of charge and could save you money on your fuel bill

If you are a leaseholder, you are responsible for the maintenance of gas appliances.

We advise that you have your appliances checked at least once a year.

The check needs to be carried out by a Gas Safe engineer. To find an engineer visit the Gas Safe Register website

If you have sublet your property, as a landlord you have a legal responsibility to your tenant under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

You must ensure that an annual safety inspection is carried out on each appliance and flue that you provide for tenants. You need to keep a record of each safety check for at least 2 years.