Leaseholder buildings insurance

You are responsible for insuring the contents of your home. We are responsible for buildings insurance, which covers the structure of your home

The structure of your home includes its fixtures and fittings, and any part of the communal areas that your lease says you are responsible for.

The interest of any lessee and mortgagee in the property is automatically included in the policy.

The cost of the buildings insurance is included in your service charge and the amount takes into account the rebuild cost of your property.

The policy provides cover for damage caused to the building by:

  • fire, lightning or explosion
  • aircraft
  • storm, tempest or floods
  • escape of water
  • escape of oil
  • theft of fixtures and fittings and damage caused by thieves
  • impact
  • riot
  • subsidence, landslip or heave
  • damage by falling TV/radio aerials
  • falling trees
  • accidental damage

The policy also provides cover for short-term accommodation costs, rent, locks and keys and property owners liability insurance.

You will need to let us know if:

  • you no longer live in the property and you have decided to rent it out
  • the property will be empty for more than 30 days
  • you carry out internal alterations

Make a claim

Your buildings insurance is currently provided by OCASO. If you want to make a claim, you need to contact their claims handlers Davies Group directly on 0344 856 2032 (open 24 hours).

You will need to quote the policy number 323583 when you call them.

It is a condition of the policy that you must report a claim within 90 days of an incident.  If you do not do this, your claim may be declined

If you make a claim for theft, attempted theft or malicious damage, you need to inform the police of the incident and get a crime reference number. 

Each claim you make will be subject to a policy excess which is stated in the policy documents.

If you have an emergency, you need to call 0344 856 2032 (open 24 hours). They will arrange for a tradesperson to be sent out, or on a major loss, they will appoint a Loss Adjuster.  Where a contractor is appointed, you will be expected to pay for any work that is undertaken, but if the damage is covered by your insurance policy, you will be reimbursed for the costs, less any policy excess.

You can also write to them at OCASO Claims Handling, PO BOX 2801, East Court, Stoke on Trent ST4 9DN.

Full policy details and cover are explained in the policy documents:

Contact information

Insurance Services
Harlow Council
Civic Centre
The Water Gardens
College Square
Harlow CM20 1WG