If you want to be a scrap metal dealer (including motor salvage operators) you will need a licence.
There are 2 types of licence:
- site licence
- collector’s licence
A site licence lets you buy and sell scrap metal from a fixed location within the Harlow area.
A collector’s licence allows you to travel within the Harlow area to collect scrap metal. You cannot take this metal back to a site that you run within the Harlow area in order to sell it.
You can only apply for one type of licence in each council area, but you can apply to run multiple sites.
For example, you could apply to run three sites in council A’s area, and also apply to be a collector in council B’s area.
To apply for a licence you need to:
- save and complete the scrap metal licence application form (pdf)
- send the application form to the Licensing team
- provide a basic disclosure no more than 3 months old - you can read about which convictions are relevant to scrap metal licence applications (pdf)
- hold the relevant waste or environmental permits
- pay the correct fee (£450 for a site licence or £345 for a collector's licence)
Once we receive your application we will
- acknowledge it within 5 working days
- consult with the Environment Agency, police and other local authorities
If we do not grant your licence, you can appeal the decision by writing to us. We will take the application to a hearing for councillors to consider. We will then notify you of their decision.
If your application is refused at the hearing, you can appeal to a magistrates court within 21 days of notice of the decision.
If we grant your licence, it will be valid for 3 years.
The current fee to renew a site licence is £275 and to renew a collector's licence is £175.
Once you have your licence, you will need to make sure you meet the licence requirements
If you want to make a variation to your licence, you will need to:
- complete the scrap metal licence variation application form (pdf)
- send the form to the Licensing team
- pay the fee of £50 for a major variation or £22 for a minor variation