Voting in the general election

If you can't make polling day, you still have until 5pm on 26 June to apply for a proxy vote. If you will be voting in person, remember to bring your ID. No ID? Apply for a Voter Authority Certificate by 5pm on 26 June.

Scrap metal licence

If you want to be a scrap metal dealer (including motor salvage operators) you will need a licence.

There are 2 types of licence:

  • site licence
  • collector’s licence

A site licence lets you buy and sell scrap metal from a fixed location within the Harlow area.

A collector’s licence allows you to travel within the Harlow area to collect scrap metal. You cannot take this metal back to a site that you run within the Harlow area in order to sell it.

You can only apply for one type of licence in each council area, but you can apply to run multiple sites.

For example, you could apply to run three sites in council A’s area, and also apply to be a collector in council B’s area.


To apply for a licence you need to:

Once we receive your application we will

  • acknowledge it within 5 working days
  • consult with the Environment Agency, police and other local authorities

If we do not grant your licence, you can appeal the decision by writing to us. We will take the application to a hearing for councillors to consider. We will then notify you of their decision.

If your application is refused at the hearing, you can appeal to a magistrates court within 21 days of notice of the decision.

If we grant your licence, it will be valid for 3 years.

The current fee to renew a site licence is £295 and to renew a collector's licence is £190.

Once you have your licence, you will need to make sure you meet the licence requirements


If you want to make a variation to your licence, you will need to:

Contact information

Harlow Council
Civic Centre
The Water Gardens
College Square
Harlow CM20 1WG