Move to Work scheme

The move to work scheme helps social housing tenants move closer to their workplace

It means you can join the Housing Needs Register without proving a local connection.

You will be eligible for the scheme if you need to:

  • move closer to your place of work outside of Harlow
  • move to a different part of Harlow because transport links make it difficult for you to get to work
  • move to a different part of Harlow because you cannot travel to work, due to exceptional circumstances
  • move because you’ve had a new offer of work somewhere else that is difficult for you to travel to

If you are eligible for the scheme, we will:

  • give advice on your options for moving
  • help you complete the paperwork to register for a move
  • identify suitable properties for you and help you to place bids online
  • identify possible home swap partners
  • offer a lump sum if you move to a smaller home – up to £1,000
  • help with some of the small costs of moving, if these are a real problem
  • help you to access schools and services in the area that you need to move to

If you'd like to apply for the scheme, contact our Housing Options team.

Contact information

Housing Options and Advice
Harlow Council
Civic Centre
The Water Gardens
College Square
Harlow CM20 1WG