May elections

You must register to vote in the upcoming May elections before Wednesday 17 April. If you cannot attend the elections, you can apply for a postal vote before 5pm on Wednesday 17 April. Find all the key dates on our election news page.


Supported Housing Schemes

Supported Housing offers older people a chance to live independently, whilst also providing the security of 24 hour assistance.

We manage 17 sheltered housing schemes across Harlow.

All our Supported Housing Schemes feature:

  • 24-hour emergency help through property pull cords and the Careline alarm system
  • help from Supported Housing Officers
  • communal areas, such as gardens or lounges
  • social activities for residents
  • master lock system so Supported Housing Officers can access properties in an emergency

We also manage one Independent Living Scheme, Sumners Farm Close, which provides additional services, such as a 24 hour on-site care provider, a communal disabled bathroom and communal dining room.


You need to be over 65 to be able to apply for Supported Housing.

You can apply by:

If you want to join the Sumners Farm Close (Independent Living) Scheme, you will need to apply to join the Housing Needs Register.

You will not bid on properties, as we will put you on a separate waiting list.


Tenants in Supported Housing need to pay:

  • rent
  • Council Tax
  • Housing Related Support charge
  • service charge

Housing Related Support charge

The Housing Related Support charge contributes towards the cost of the:

  • support service provided by the Supported Housing Officers
  • pull cord alarm system
  • out of hours emergency response service

The charge is the same for all the schemes, except Sumners Farm Close who have a 24 hour on site care team, currently funded by Social Services.

Service charge

Your service charge includes:

  • electricity (unless you have it individually metered)
  • gas (the meter can be removed to save money)
  • heating and hot water (part of a communal heating system)

The service charge does not cover water costs. You need to pay the supplier directly for water.

Get involved

Social activities take place in the communal lounge of each scheme. Supported Housing Officers organise a regular social activity and encourage and support tenants to organise their own activities.

You can get involved in your Supported Housing Scheme through:

  • quarterly tenant meetings
  • Supported Housing Standards panel (maximum of 2 representatives)
  • Residents' associations