May elections

You must register to vote in the upcoming May elections before Wednesday 17 April. If you cannot attend the elections, you can apply for a postal vote before 5pm on Wednesday 17 April. Find all the key dates on our election news page.


Snow and gritting

Essex County Council’s (ECC) Highways department is responsible for gritting the main roads and footpaths in Harlow.

You can find out more on their gritting service, and follow the real-time progress of gritters, on the ECC website

On top of ECC’s gritting of the highways, we also grit and help clear snow from areas that we own and manage.

We grit areas that have a priority level, with 1 being the highest priority. 

  • Broad Walk
  • Bus station stands and concourse
  • Harvey Centre entrances
  • Leah Manning Centre
  • Library (for access to Water Gardens)
  • Market walkways
  • Medical and health centres
  • Post Office
  • Prentice Place (pharmacy and doctors surgery)
  • Shopmobility Centre
  • Supported Housing schemes
  • West Gate
  • Burgoyne Hatch
  • Bush Fair
  • Colt Hatch
  • Coppice Hatch
  • Elm Hatch
  • Fishers Hatch
  • Katherines Hatch
  • Manor Hatch
  • Maunds Hatch
  • Pets' Corner
  • Pollards Hatch
  • Pypers Hatch
  • Sherards Hatch
  • Slacksbury Hatch
  • Staple Tye
  • Sumners Hatch
  • The Hoo
  • The Stow
  • Ward Hatch
  • Ambulance station
  • Fire station

Local salt bins

There are salt bins provided throughout the town to help drivers and pedestrians treat icy conditions in their local area.

The bins contain a salt and sand mix which you can use for public roads and pavements - it should not be used for private driveways.

More information and a map salt bin locations can be found on the ECC website

Salt Bag Partnership

The ECC Salt Bag Partnership scheme is for groups of residents who want to have an allocation of salt.

To apply for the scheme, you need to contact your county councillor for a 25kg salt bag, ahead of a snow day.

Once your application has been agreed, you will need to pick up your bag from HTS (Property and Environment) Ltd at Mead Park.

You can find your county councillor and their contact details by using your postcode on the ECC website