Licensing - Scrap Metal Licence

If you want to be a scrap metal dealer (including motor salvage operators) you will need a licence.

There are two types of licence:

  • site licence
  • collector’s licence

A site licence lets you buy and sell scrap metal from a fixed location within the Harlow area

A collector’s licence allows you to travel within the Harlow area to collect scrap metal. You cannot take this metal back to a site that you run within the Harlow area in order to sell it.


You can only apply for one type of licence in each council area, but you can apply to run multiple sites.

For example, you could apply to run three sites in council A’s area, and also apply to be a collector in council B’s area.

To apply for a licence you need to:

Scrap Metal Licence

Fee from 1 April 2018

New licence

Site licence


Mobile collector


Licence renewal

Site licence


Mobile collector



Substantial variation


Minor variation



Once we receive your application we will

  • acknowledge it within five working days
  • consult with The Environment Agency, police and other local authorities

If we do not grant your licence, you can appeal the decision by writing to us. We will take the application to a hearing for councillors to consider. We will then notify you of their decision.

If your application is refused at the hearing, you can appeal to a Magistrates' court within 21 days of notice of the decision.

If we grant your licence, it will be valid for three years.

Once you have your licence, you will need to make sure you meet the licence requirements