Voting in the general election

If you can't make polling day, you still have until 5pm on 26 June to apply for a proxy vote. If you will be voting in person, remember to bring your ID. No ID? Apply for a Voter Authority Certificate by 5pm on 26 June.

Driver licence


You will need a driver licence if you drive a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle

You can apply for a driver licence if you:

  • are aged 21 years or over
  • have held a full UK driving licence for at least a year

To apply for a driver licence, you need to contact us.

We will provide an application form, which you need to complete and return to us along with the fee and supporting documents.

The fee for a driver licence is £240 for a 1-year licence or £405 for a 3-year licence. The fee is paid in 2 parts - you will need to pay half at the initial appointment (so £120 for a 1-year licence) and the other half when we grant your licence. 

For a driver licence, the supporting documents you need are:

  • your driving licence card and online check code to allow us to view your DVLA licence history
  • your passport
  • your birth certificate
  • your National Insurance number
  • proof of your current address on two separate utility or credit card bills
  • a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) enhanced check with barred lists application and £44 fee (within 30 days from the date of issue of the DBS certificate, you must also sign up to the DBS update service at a cost of £13 so that we can check your status every April, October and when we grant a licence)
  • proof of your right to work in the UK (passport)
  • a Certificate of Good Conduct, if you have lived anywhere other than the UK for 6 or more consecutive months in the last 5 years

Once you have made an application, we will review your documents to make sure you are a ‘fit and proper’ person.

If you have criminal convictions or serious driving endorsements, your application may be referred to the Licensing Sub-committee for a decision.

We follow the Institue of Licensing's guidance to determine the suitability of both hackney carriage and private hire applicants.

We are also signed up to the National Register of Taxi Licence Refusals and Revocations (known as NR3). We use the register to record details of hackney carriage or private hire licences that have been refused or revoked and check new applicants against the register.

We use the NR3 National Register of Refusals and Revocations to ensure the fitness and propriety of licence holders as part of the application process. We do this following the General Data Protection Regulations and human rights law.

We might also use the information provided by applicants to prevent or detect crime, to protect public funds, or in other ways as permitted by law. This can include passing information to certain third parties.

We are registered with the National Anti-Fraud Network, which the LGA commissioned to develop and host the register.

Personal information we will record

When we revoke a licence or refuse an application for one, we will record this information on NR3. The information recorded will be limited to:

  • name
  • date of birth
  • address and contact details
  • national insurance number
  • driving licence number
  • decision taken
  • date of decision
  • date decision effective

Licensing authorities will then search the register when they are processing new applications or renewals. Where an authority finds a match for their applicant on NR3, it will contact the licensing authority that recorded the entry to seek more information, which, if shared, will then be used to help reach a decision on the application.

Will I automatically be refused a licence if I am on the register?

No. Licensing authorities are legally required to consider each licence application on its own merits, and cannot refuse an application simply because an applicant may be recorded on NR3.

The purpose of NR3 is to ensure that authorities have the full information necessary to help them reach a decision on whether an individual is fit and proper.

If circumstances have materially changed since the decision that has been recorded on NR3, it may be appropriate for another authority to award a licence.

What if my licence is suspended?

Suspensions of licences will not be recorded on NR3.

Can I find out if my details are on the NR3?

Individuals whose details are added to NR3 will be notified of this at the point at which they are advised of the decision to refuse or revoke a licence.

Outside of these times, an individual can make a subject access request (SAR) for any of their personal data held on NR3.

The 'data controller' of this data is Harlow Council, so your SAR needs to be submitted to Harlow Council. 

The 'data processor' (the organisation storing the data) is the National Anti-Fraud Network so they will actually fulfill the SAR request. If you want to exercise any other rights provided under data protection legislation, you should make them to the National Anti-Fraud Network first.

How long will details be held on NR3 for?

Data will be retained on the register to help licensing authorities fulfil their statutory duty to be satisfied that a person is a fit and proper person to hold a hackney carriage or private hire licence.

In accordance with this purpose, data will remain on the NR3 for 25 years.

If we do not grant your licence, you can make an appeal to the magistrates court.

If you are considered ‘fit and proper’, before the driver licence is granted you also need to:

  • provide a completed and stamped Harlow Council group 2 medical certificate (pdf). Our preferred medical practitioner is Harlow Occupational Health Service, but you are free to use any registered medical practitioner.
  • pass a practical driving test and gain a pass certificate. You can book your test at:
  • pass the knowledge test (at a cost of £53)
  • attend a safeguarding awareness session (formerly known as CSE training)
  • attend a disability awareness session

Once these have been successfully completed, we will grant the licence.

Your driver licence will be valid for either 1 or 3 years from the date we granted it.

Once you have your licence, you will need to keep to the hackney carriage byelaws (pdf) or private hire driver licence conditions (pdf)

Contact information

Harlow Council
Civic Centre
The Water Gardens
College Square
Harlow CM20 1WG