You can apply for a driver licence if you:
- are aged 21 years or over
- have held a full UK driving licence for at least a year
To apply for a driver licence, you need to contact us.
We will provide an application form, which you need to complete and return to us along with the fee and supporting documents.
The fee for a driver licence is £240 for a 1-year licence or £405 for a 3-year licence. The fee is paid in 2 parts - you will need to pay half at the initial appointment (so £120 for a 1-year licence) and the other half when we grant your licence.
For a driver licence, the supporting documents you need are:
- your driving licence card and online check code to allow us to view your DVLA licence history
- your passport
- your birth certificate
- your National Insurance number
- proof of your current address on two separate utility or credit card bills
- a completed Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) application and £44 fee (within 30 days from the date of issue of the DBS certificate, you must sign up to the DBS update service at a cost of £13 - if you do not sign up to the update service, you will need to apply for a DBS check every 3 years, at a cost of £64)
- proof of your right to work in the UK (passport)
- a Certificate of Good Conduct, if you have lived anywhere other than the UK for 6 or more consecutive months in the last 5 years
Once you have made an application, we will review your documents to make sure you are a ‘fit and proper’ person.
If you have criminal convictions or serious driving endorsements, your application may be referred to the Licensing Sub-committee for a decision.
We follow the Institue of Licensing's guidance (pdf) to determine the suitability of both hackney carriage and private hire applicants.
If we do not grant your licence, you can make an appeal to the magistrates court.
If you are considered ‘fit and proper’, before the driver licence is granted you also need to:
- provide a completed and stamped Harlow Council group 2 medical certificate (pdf). Our preferred medical practitioner is Harlow Occupational Health Service, but you are free to use any registered medical practitioner.
- pass a practical driving test and gain a pass certificate. You can book your test at:
- pass the knowledge test (at a cost of £53)
- attend a safeguarding awareness session (formerly known as CSE training)
- attend a disability awareness session
Once these have been successfully completed, we will grant the licence.
Your driver licence will be valid for either 1 or 3 years from the date we granted it.
Once you have your licence, you will need to keep to the hackney carriage byelaws or private hire driver licence conditions (pdf)