We are proud to support our men and women serving in the armed forces, their families and veterans in our communities.
We have signed the Essex Armed Forces Community Covenant
The covenant aims to:
- encourage local communities to support the armed forces communities in their areas
- increase public understanding of the issues affecting the armed forces community
- recognise and honour the sacrifices faced by the armed forces
The Armed Forces Covenant has now been enshrined in law by the Armed Forces Bill
Veterans' Gateway is a first point of contact for veterans who need support. They put veterans and their families in touch with the organisations that can best help provide the kind of information, advice and support they need – includes health, housing, jobs, finances, personal relationships and more.
During this cost of living crisis, the British Legion are providing Cost of Living Grants to help people with everyday essentials such as kitchen appliances, clothes, and energy costs.
The main war memorials in Harlow are:
- Netteswell and Burnt Mill Memorial Cross (CM20 2QD)
- Great Parndon Memorial Cross (CM19 4HB)
- Potter Street Memorial Cross (CM17 9NG)
- Old Harlow Memorial Cross (CM17 0JT)
However, there are also many other war memorial sites in Harlow. For details of these, look at our war memorials and graves in Harlow map (pdf)
We hold remembrance events each November at war memorial sites.