May elections

You must register to vote in the upcoming May elections before Wednesday 17 April. If you cannot attend the elections, you can apply for a postal vote before 5pm on Wednesday 17 April. Find all the key dates on our election news page.


Abandoned vehicles

We will investigate reports of abandoned vehicles that are on public roads.

Vehicles are likely to be abandoned if at least one of the following applies:

  • they have no keeper on the DVLA’s database and are untaxed - check if a vehicle is taxed on GOV.UK
  • they’re stationary for a significant amount of time
  • they’re significantly damaged, run down or unroadworthy - with flat tyres, wheels removed or broken windows
  • they’re burned out
  • they have number plates missing

If a vehicle is untaxed but shows no other signs of being abandoned, you can report it to DVLA

If you think the vehicle has been abandoned in Harlow, you can report it to us.

To report an abandoned vehicle in Harlow, you will need:

  • the vehicle registration number
  • the make, model and colour of the vehicle
  • the tax status of the vehicle
  • how long it has been abandoned
  • the location of the vehicle
  • a photo of the vehicle (if you have one)
  • your contact details

Once we receive your abandoned vehicle report, we will:

  • investigate the vehicle to find out if it has been abandoned
  • try to contact the vehicle’s owner
  • place a notice on the vehicle, giving the owner 7 days to tell us the vehicle is not abandoned

If the vehicle is considered dangerous, we will remove it without notice.

If we decide that the vehicle is abandoned after we have investigated, we will remove it within 7 days.

Claim an abandoned vehicle

You can claim ownership of a vehicle that has been issued with a AV1 or AV3 notice by Harlow Council.