May elections

You must register to vote in the upcoming May elections before Wednesday 17 April. If you cannot attend the elections, you can apply for a postal vote before 5pm on Wednesday 17 April. Find all the key dates on our election news page.


Appeal against a benefit decision

If you think that your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support decision is wrong then you can ask us to look at it again and review it.

You need to write to us within one month of the date of your decision letter to make an appeal.

There are 3 different ways that you can ask us to look at the decision again:

  • ask for a detailed written explanation of our decision, if you do not understand it
  • ask us to reconsider our decision, if you do not agree with it
  • ask to appeal to an independent tribunal, if your case has been looked at again and you’re still not happy with the decision

Make an appeal

To make an appeal, you need to complete the appeals form.

You must tell us:

  • which decision you would like us to explain or look at again
  • why you think the decision is wrong
  • if there are other factors we need to take into consideration

You should include as much information as possible to help us check that the decision is correct.


You should provide any evidence we have not seen before that you think will help with your appeal.

The easiest way to provide evidence is by uploading it to our online contact form.

You need to include your:

  • claim reference
  • name
  • address

You can also visit the Civic Centre and provide this evidence in person.

What happens next

If we agree the decision is wrong we’ll make corrections to your benefit entitlement and send you a new benefit decision letter.

If we feel the decision is correct we’ll write to you confirming this. You may still be able to appeal if you think our decision is wrong.

If we feel the decision is correct and you’ve made an appeal, we'll send your appeal to HM Courts and Tribunals Service and they’ll get in touch with you.  They’ll explain what happens next and tell you when your appeal will be dealt with by the First-tier Tribunal.