May elections

You must register to vote in the upcoming May elections before Wednesday 17 April. If you cannot attend the elections, you can apply for a postal vote before 5pm on Wednesday 17 April. Find all the key dates on our election news page.


Benefit overpayments

If your circumstances change, the amount of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support you are entitled too may also change.

If the amount of benefit is lower than it was before, this may result in us paying you too much benefit.

If we pay you too much Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, you will have to repay the overpayment to us.

You can avoid an overpayment if you know a change is going to take place by telling us before it happens or as soon as the change happens.

Housing Benefit overpayments

If you have a Housing Benefit overpayment, we will write to you explaining:

  • the amount you need to pay back
  • how you need to repay the overpayment
  • your rights of appeal

If you are still on Housing Benefit then we will recover the overpayment from your weekly benefit payments.

If you are no longer entitled to benefits, we will send you an invoice with payment instructions.

If you have received an invoice and would like to make a payment, you can pay online using a credit or debit card.

You can also set up a Direct Debit to pay an overpayment (pdf)

Council Tax Support overpayments

If you get too much Council Tax Support, we will add the incorrect amount to your Council Tax account. You will then have to pay this back to us, along with the rest of your Council Tax bill.

If you're having problems paying the money back, contact us straight away.

Contact information

Revenues and Benefits
Harlow Council
Civic Centre
The Water Gardens
College Square
Harlow CM20 1WG