Pay your Council Tax

Direct Debit

The easiest way to pay your Council Tax is by Direct Debit.

You can spread payments over 10 or 12 months, and you can choose to pay on either the:

  • 1st
  • 8th
  • 15th
  • 25th

If you would like to start paying by Direct Debit please call the Revenues and Benefits team on 01279 446688.

The Council Tax office is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (closed bank holidays).

You will need your:

  • Council Tax account number
  • bank name, branch and sort code
  • bank account number and the name on the account

Alternatively, you can also complete the Council Tax Direct Debit form (pdf) and return to the Revenues and Benefits team.


You can pay your Council Tax online using most debit and credit cards.

You will need your Council Tax account number.


You can use our 24 hour automated telephone payment line to pay your Council Tax.

You need to call: 01279 446600

You will need your:

  • Council Tax account number
  • card details

Online banking or telephone banking

You can transfer your Council Tax payment from your bank account into our bank account, using our bank details.

Contact the Revenues and Benefits team on 01279 446688 for our bank details.


You can pay your Council Tax by post using a cheque.

To pay by cheque, you need to:

  • make your cheque payable to Harlow Council
  • write your Council Tax account number and your address on the back of the cheque
  • send your cheque to us in the post (contact details below), or post it in the secure box at the Civic Centre
  • include a stamped self-addressed envelope if you want us to send you a receipt

You should not send us post-dated cheques as we cannot accept them.

In person

You can pay by cash or debit card at the Civic Centre. You will need your Council Tax account number.

You can also pay by payment card. Contact us to order your card.

You can use your payment swipe card to pay your Council Tax by:

Pay over 12 months

To help you budget, you may be able to spread your Council Tax payments over 12 months (April to March) rather than the usual 10 (April to January).

To pay over 12 months you need to contact the Revenues and Benefits team on 01279 446688 by 15 May for the current Council Tax bill.

Contact information

Revenues and Benefits
Harlow Council
Civic Centre
The Water Gardens
College Square
CM20 1WG
01279 446688