Dangerous Wild Animals Licence

If you want to keep a dangerous wild animal in Harlow, you will need a licence.

You must be over the age of 18 to apply for this licence.

You will not be able to apply for a dangerous wild animals licence if you have ever been disqualified from:

  • keeping a pet shop
  • keeping any dangerous wild animal
  • keeping a riding establishment
  • keeping an animal boarding establishment
  • keeping a dog
  • having the custody of animals


To apply for a dangerous wild animal licence, you need to:

  • Contact Harlow for an application form and details on the current fee

Once we have received your application, we will arrange for an inspection of the premises. 

Before granting a licence, we will need to make sure:

  • the animal’s safety and welfare will not be threatened
  • there will be no risk to the public
  • the animal will not cause a nuisance to the public

If we refuse to grant your licence, you can appeal to the magistrates’ court within 21 days of receiving notice of the decision.