Waste Collections

All food waste collections are currently suspended. Garden Waste collections are currently behind schedule. You can find the latest on all waste collections on our news page.


Animal boarding


If you run a boarding cattery or kennel, board dogs in your own home or look after other people’s dogs during the day, you will need an animal boarding licence.

You can read the conditions for the different types of this licence on the Canine and Feline Sector Group website:

To apply for an animal boarding licence, you need to:

  • download and complete the animal boarding licence application form (pdf)
  • pay the application fee of £155 (up to 6 boarded animals) or £230 (7 or more boarded animals)
  • pay the grant fee of £75 (up to 6 boarded animals) £100 (7 or more boarded animals)

The total fee to apply for this licence is £230 (up to 6 boarded animals) £330 (7 or more boarded animals).

You can pay any of the fees by:

  • cheque - payable to ‘Harlow Council’ and posted with your application form to Environmental Health, Harlow Council, Civic Centre, The Water Gardens, Harlow CM20 1WG

We will ask you to pay the total fee for the licence up front. If we do not grant your licence we will refund your grant fee.

Once we receive your application form and fee, we will contact you to arrange an inspection.

We will use our inspection to decide whether to grant your licence and what your rating will be.

The rating is based on your animal welfare standard and the level of risk your business poses. You can read more about how the rating will be determined on the Canine and Feline Sector Group website.

The rating will be between 1 and 5, with 5 being the best rating.

The rating you receive will determine the length of your licence, from 1 to 3 years.

Once you have your licence, you need to display your licence and rating on your premises.

Contact information

Environmental Health
Harlow Council
Civic Centre
The Water Gardens
College Square
Harlow CM20 1WG
01279 446111